Skillet Chicken Potpie
Developed for HarvestLand Chicken
Makes 6 servings
|1 HarvestLand Rotisserie Chicken|
2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
2 medium carrots, thinly sliced (1-1/2 cups)
2 stalks celery, sliced (3/4 cup)
1 medium potato, cut in 1/2-inch cubes (1-3/4 cups)
1/2 cup chopped onion
3/4 teaspoon dried thyme, or 1-1/2 teaspoons fresh
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 can (14.5-ounces) reduced sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup frozen peas
Salt and pepper
1 sheet (about 8-ounces) frozen puff pastry, thawed
1 egg, beaten with 2 teaspoons water
1. Remove chicken and skin from bones; shred or tear into bite-size pieces. Set aside.
2. Melt butter in a 10-inch oven-proof skillet. Add carrots, celery, potato, onion and thyme. Cook over medium heat 5 minutes until onion is softened and vegetables lightly browned.
3. Stir in flour until evenly absorbed. Stir in broth, cover and cook 10 minutes until vegetables are tender, stirring occassionally. Add chicken and peas and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Preheat oven to 400ºF. If needed, lightly roll puff pastry to diameter of skillet, leaving pastry in a square. Cut into 1-inch wide strips. Crisscross or weave strips on top of skillet ingredients. Brush pastry with beaten egg.
5. Bake 20-25 minutes until pastry is puffed and golden brown. Serve warm.